Words Frequently Confused
This free app functions as a specialized reference tool for words that are frequently confused, either due to sound or meaning. When teaching connotation or "shades of meaning" this app is not to be missed! A lesson that utilizes Words Frequently Confused can be easily parlayed into the use of another app, such as iDesk Lite, where students can create their own Thinking Maps as they study word meaning.
Text Version of Instructions
Words Frequently Confused is a wonderful free app that allows students to browse an alphabetized collection of words that are frequently confused because they are closely related in sound or meaning. This app is perfect for students of all proficiency levels, particularly EL or strategic students.
- Tap the icon to open the app.
- Once open, browse the alphabetical listing. Note the purpose of each word collection (similarity in sound or meaning).
- Navigate page using buttons on the bottom of the screen. Swipe your finger in a vertical motion to navigate up and down the list.
- Tap to select a word group. (Example: fair, just, impartial)
- Examine words, meanings, and examples for your selection.
- Mark as a favorite by tapping the “mark as favorite” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Return to alphabetized listing by tapping on the “words” button in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- View word collections marked as “favorites” by clicking on the “favorites” button at the bottom of the screen.