This dictionary app will give you a great reason to return those old paperback dictionaries to the library! Engaging, fun, and accessible to students of all ability levels, you will find endless value in this app. With a voice-recognition search function, one-tap thesaurus access, and a handy pronunciation feature, your students will never view dictionaries the same way again!
Text Version of Instructions
- Open the Dictionary app on the iPad.
- Tap “search” on the left-hand side of the app and then tap/type the word you are searching for in the search box.
- Alternatively, you could tap the microphone icon and speak the word you need to find.
- Once a word entry is retrieved, examine the definitions and origin.
- Tap the audio icon to hear a pronunciation of the word.
- Tap the star to add a word entry as a favorite.
- Access favorites by tapping on the “Favorites” option on the left-hand tool bar.
- Tap the orange “thesaurus” button on a word entry to view the corresponding thesaurus entry and all pertinent synonyms.
- Tap the blue “dictionary” button on a word entry to return to the dictionary.
- Access recent searches by tapping on the “Recent” option on the left-hand tool bar.
- Access the “Word of the Day” feature by tapping on the “Daily” option on the left-hand tool bar. Within the Word of the Day, please note that there is both an English word of the day and a Spanish word of the day.